About UNC Project-Uganda

In 2004, a group of UNC physicians established the Amal Murarka International Pediatric Health Foundation in memory of their colleague, Dr. Amal Murarka, who died unexpectedly in 2003. The foundation sent a medical team to Kampala to establish the country's first pediatric intensive care unit at Mulago Hospital, Makerere University, where Dr. Murarka had previously conducted research. Subsequent work in 2007 and 2008 focused on pediatric cardiac surgery. The foundation not only built a cardiac ICU, but also performed a total of 21 life-saving pediatric cardiac surgeries.

In 2008 the foundation partnered with the Institute for Global Health and Infectious Diseases to establish UNC Project-Uganda.

Mission

The UNC Project-Uganda was established to support sustainable delivery of compassionate and competent health care to infants, children, and adolescents in Uganda; to improve the medical knowledge of the Ugandan health care workforce through in-country training and a physician exchange program; and to provide advanced medical equipment, medications, and services necessary for the delivery of compassionate and competent pediatric care in Uganda.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Bren Sparling , PICU RN

On the eve of this mission trip, I find myself nervous, excited and in somewhat disbelief that I am headed to Uganda in the morning. I have been a PICU nurse since 1991 and have been at UNC for the last 5 years. This will be my first mission trip. I feel so honored to be part of this caring team of people and realize that my life will be forever changed.

While in Uganda I will be caring for post-op patients in the ICU. I also plan to give lectures and precept the Ugandan nursing staff. I am grateful for this opportunity to share my PICU knowledge and experiences so that perhaps these nurses will grow to love being a PICU nurse as much as I do.

I am so thankful for all of the support and encouragement from my family and friends. I am especially grateful for this opportunity to be a role model for my three wonderful daughters.

Bren Sparling, RN, BSN

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so proud of you Bren!
We Love you!
Bruce,Tricia and Chilly Willy

Unknown said...

GO Tar Heels! What a great game! There is not many things better than beating Notre Dame! We just went to the Pumpkin Patch! We can't wait to see you!

Love
Bruce,Tricia and Chilly Willy